Vintage campers are the classic campers that were very popular around late 1930’s until probably the 60’s, now it is enjoying a recent rise in popularity, as people look back to simpler, less hectic times, seeking the high quality “machine age” design and craftsmanship of the early airstreams.
Most vintage campers nowadays are designed from the original craftsmanship of tin and airstream types, but some are restored from the original ones and are added a little extra innovation.
However for most vintage camper seekers and buyers, they would look for a vintage camper dating back from the 30’s, 40’s or 60’s, buy them and have them restored.
Why buy a vintage camper? Well, most people choose their classic looks and quality construction, they find it fun and exciting to restore, it uses real wood and not synthetics, they are most easy and inexpensive to maintain, they increase in value rather than decrease, they look great towed behind a classic car or truck, and they are a nice way to enjoy the great outdoors.
If you are looking for original restorable vintage campers, then you might want to check out vintagecampers.com. They have a wide array of original vintage campers that you can choose from. Here are some of them:
1947 Spartan 25’ Manor
- Exterior - This Vintage Spartan has a very nice exterior skin with most exterior components there and intact. Has had some electrical outlets added. This is the smallest Spartan made and can be towed easily with most vehicles.
- Interior - This vintage camper has pretty nice interior although some upgrades have been made. It could be camped in with only minor work done.
- Running Gear - Ready to be towed any distance. Has new tires, wheel bearings repacked, lights in rear, and electric brakes are in working order.
- Has curtains and futon has been added in rear, no bed or mattresses and dinette cushions.
- Electrical - Has original Trumbell brand 2 circuit breaker boxes with new 30 amp plug and cord added.
- Plumbing - Newer plastic fresh water lines added with newer PVC drains.
- Other - This vintage camper trailer is nice overall which has great potential. It can camp in and fix-up at the same time. It needs a little work.
- Price: $3,750.00
1939 Platt 24’ Tandem
- Exterior - This vintage camper trailer has a very cool body style with awesome lines. Most of exterior components are original and intact. This trailer will need lots of work but you will have a rare jewel when completed. (Interior and Exterior RV Accessories)
- Interior - Original interior is pretty much all there with the exception of appliances.
- Running gear - Has original running gear but bearings and brakes have not been inspected or tested.
- Furnishings - No curtains, but has dinette cushions that are not original but in good shape.
- Electrical - It has 110 volt lights, and has original porcelain wall scone-less shade. Has electrical breaks on front axle only and it is untested.
- LP System - Has refrigerator with original two door side ice box with all original hardware intact.
- Plumbing - This vintage camper originally had a dry sink in the kitchen with a copper drain line running outside, and is still there and intact. Modern plumbing could be added to this unit.
- Other - This vintage camper trailer is a rare find. Most pre-war camping trailers are long gone. This trailer is very restorable and would be a one of a kind jewel once restored. This trailer would need a full restoration but is definitely worth sinking some time and money into.
- Price: $2500.00
There are plenty more where these vintage camper trailers come from, some may need a lot of restoration other just a few, but for vintage camper seekers, you know the fun is in restoration and all you need to do is find what you want. Check out more of this at vintagecampers.com.